Someone asked “So I saw your and Derek’s tweets this afternoon so, what are some things common concert goers wouldn’t know that really bothers merchies?”
1) Handing me a hand full of crumpled up cash- This takes time to straighten out, and if there is a line of people, this is the last thing I want to deal with.
2) Hanging me 10 bucks in pennies/ dimes/ nickels - Unless I am in a country where their primary currency is coins, go to the bar and get cash.
3) I am totally cool if you want to pick up a shirt at the end of the nightHOWEVER, you have the ENTIRE show (IN BETWEEN BANDS) to scope out the merch, don’t walk up at the end of the night with no clue what you want and hold up the line. Come up with your 1st, 2nd and 3rd choice in shirts, incase we do run out.
4) Have your cash/ credit card ready to go- Again, don’t waste my time or the other peoples time by searching through your hobo bag for that swimming 20.
5) No means No- Just because I have a sharpie on the table doesn’t mean you are entitled to have it. Sharpies are expensive, and for every 10 I loan out I get 1 back. So don’t give me the dead eyes when I won’t give you a sharpie to go get something signed by a band member who is around the block at Starbucks.
Which leads me too…
6) Cutting Deals- Look, I don’t want to loose out on a merch sale because you are one dollar short HOWEVER if you ask me like a douche for a deal, I don’t want to help you out. Be polite, you are not entitled to a deal, but if you are kind I will be more willing to give up one or two bucks of my tip money to cover a shirt for you. Got it?
7) *The most understated*- DINNER TIME- I would say I spend every night munching on din din behind the merch table. Just be mindful of this. If you see a dude arm deep in ribs, try and give him those 10 mins and keep in mind he will be set up ALLLLLLL night and you can come back to get that shirt. But the flip side, if you see me, noming on a salad, that I can put away easily, come on up…. But know what you want.
8) “You Look Bored So I’ll Talk To You”- A phrase that literally makes my blood curdle. If I am on my phone/ computer I am not bored I am either A) Doing work B) Trying to keep up with real life C) Doing work. This is not a social cue that I am bored. Not to mention, I will be as polite as possible but I am not HORRIBLE at basic conversation, if I am on an electronic device that means that I am the exact opposite of bored, and probably texting my mom about her day or Skyping my best buddies who I haven’t seen in months and the venue has the fastest internet connection in a week. However the flip side is, you can always step in if you want to buy something or have legit questions!!!
9) Trust the merchie- You wearing the bands merch and showing your friends is a KEY part of being a fan because it is advertisement for the band. We, as merchies, want you to walk out of the venue with a shirt that you will wear all the time. So if you ask us what size we think you are trust us! Also, DON’T GET A SIZE OR TWO SMALLER BECAUSE YOU ARE EMBARRASSED TO GET YOUR TRUE SIZE! We don’t care if you wear a small or 2x. We want you to get a product you will love! Unless you are dripping in sweat, I will most likely let you try it on too!
10) Be Polite- Nothing makes me happier than when a fan says “Please” and “Thank you” instead of “Give me that.” You never know what has gone on in our day and being polite can turn our day around.
I could go one for ever but these are the major ones!
I don’t really do any of these but I never considered the dinner thing. Now I know.